Canadian visitors are highly prized as they tend to stay longer, spend more and visit more regions than the average visitor to the island of Ireland. About two thirds are promotable visitors and avail of a wide range of paid-for holiday experiences and services. 2018 has experienced strong growth and increased air capacity (including new services Toronto-Shannon & Montreal-Dublin with Air Canada) and is on track to reach record Canadian visitor numbers.
In 2019, we are looking forward to continuing this growth, with even more increased air capacity, including 2 new direct services from Hamilton-Dublin with Norwegian Airlines and Calgary-Dublin with WestJet, alongside continued year-round access from Toronto. We look forward to working with you to bring more Canadians to the island of Ireland throughout the year!
Canadian visitor highlights:
• Canada is in the top ten source markets for travellers to Ireland, with 45% of visitors coming from Ontario and 20% from British Columbia
• Ireland is on the top 10 list of holiday destinations that Canadian holidaymakers are interested in visiting.
• On average, Canadian holidaymakers stay on the island of Ireland for ten nights
• Typically, they each spend €930/£751
• Canadians are highly likely to tour and to visit two or more regions on the island
• Approximately one third of all Canadian visitors visit Northern Ireland
• They prefer to stay in hotels, but also like guesthouses and B&B’s
• Almost one-third of Canadians travel on escorted (organised) tours
• Sites of historical interest, excursions and events and light activity are important to the market
• Canadian holidaymakers to the island of Ireland have traditionally travelled between May and September, mainly because of the seasonal nature of direct access availability.
• Now with year-round direct flights from Canada, there is a new opportunity to generate incremental growth in visitor numbers during the shoulder season (October-March).
• There is a very special connection between the people of Ireland and large elements of the Canadian population. In 2019 we will continue to highlight these strong links, including those between Northern Ireland and Canada, targeting the three million Ulster Scots.
Throughout the year there are several ways we can work with you to promote your product or service to the Canadian market including the partnership programme, e-marketing and in-market events. The opportunities offer great value for the investment and are tailor-made to offer the right mix of opportunities to drive success. Please be sure to check back on a regular basis for the latest information and opportunities throughout the year. If you have any questions, just drop us a line - we are here to help. We look forward to working with you to drive business from the Canadian market!
Click here to view our complete market profile for Canada.