Australia & New Zealand
Travellers from Australia and New Zealand are important to the island of Ireland as they tend to stay longer than other visitors. Tourists from this market spend an average of 13 nights on the island of Ireland; they travel around two or more regions and spend more money as they go. In fact, Australian tourists are amongst the most valuable as they spend +90% more per trip than the average of all overseas tourists. Australia is also the fifth most important overseas market for Northern Ireland, with one in five visiting Northern Ireland.
Australia and New Zealand has seen a consistently high level of tourists to Ireland in recent years, with potential for strong growth in the future. The arrivals figures remained relatively stable in 2019, with over 200,000 people visiting the island of Ireland, following a very strong performance in 2018.
The increased number of one-stop flights via the Middle East and Hong Kong with Emirates, Etihad Airways, Qatar Airways and Cathay Pacific has been a significant factor in the growth in visitor numbers from these markets in recent years.
Why should you target this market?
Visitors from Australia & New Zealand are highly prized as they tend to stay longer, spend more and visit more regions than the average visitor to the island of Ireland. They travel right around the island and many visit in the shoulder seasons.
How to work with this market
Australia & New Zealand Visitor Highlights:
- On average, Australia & New Zealand holidaymakers stay on the island of Ireland for 13 nights.
- They are highly likely to visit two or more regions on the island and spend more money as they go.
- They prefer to stay in hotels, but also like guesthouses and B&B’s.
- Australia is the 5th most important overseas market for tourism in Northern Ireland, with one in five holidaymakers from this market visiting Northern Ireland.
- The island of Ireland benefits from strong ancestral links and a shared history with Australia & New Zealand, with many claiming Irish heritage.
- Top performing social content includes user-generated content, and content featuring views & landscapes (vistas, aerial/drone imagery) and built heritage (castles, historic locations, cottages).
While Australia & New Zealand’s international borders are currently closed due to Covid-19, there are several ways we can work with you to promote your product or service to the Australia & New Zealand market. Our current focus is on engaging with and educating the travel trade and media, with activity including our ongoing trade webinar series, trade e-zines and the #FillYourHeartWithIreland social media campaign.
Please be sure to check back on a regular basis for the latest information and opportunities. We look forward to working with you to drive business from the Australia & New Zealand market.
to view our complete market profile for Australia
Market contact: Sarah Harrison